With the New Year approaching you might be thinking of how you can make some resolutions to improve your personal life. Maybe you want to eat healthier, go to the gym, be kinder, or spend less money. Resolutions are popular in the new year because with January first comes a sense of beginning, starting fresh, a clean slate.
But how about your office life? It’s the perfect time to reflect on this past year and ask yourself, “How could I have made my year better at the office?”. We’ve thought of a few ideas to get you jump started on your New Year’s office resolutions.
1. Get Organized. Now is the perfect time to organize your physical and mental workspace to increase your productivity. Alphabetize your files, clean up your desk, clean up your calendar. You will spend less time between tasks when you aren’t looking for a misplaced file or repeating tasks you’ve already done.
2. Take More Breaks. Breaks have been shown to increase mental alertness, reduce fatigue and stress, relieve stiffness from sitting down all day, and yes, increase productivity! It’s also just important not to overwork yourself. You will produce much better work if you are well rested and fed!
3. Set SMART goals. Setting goals is an important part of being productive and efficient at the office. But make sure those goals are S.M.A.R.T. or else you might find they don’t really help much at all. SMART stands for Specific ( make sure your goal isn’t too vague and that you understand it well), Measurable ( use industry benchmarks, or last month’s numbers to have a goal you can measure), Attainable ( make it realistic and something achievable), Relevant (your goal should be connected to your company mission) and Timely ( don’t leave your goal floating through space! Give yourself a realistic time to achieve it by).
4. Be More Involved. Every business should be supporting the community they exist in and rely on. There are so many charitable organizations, and creating a partnership with one can take your business to the next level. Not only do you get your business’s name out there in the community, but you get to make a positive difference in the lives of others.
5. Learn How To Delegate. Often times people feel that in order to do something correctly they must do it themselves, and they end up taking on more work than they can handle. If you have employees beneath you in the chain of command, give them tasks that do not need to be completed by yourself. Then maybe you can take one of those breaks we talked about!
We hope you put some of these suggestions into practice and have a successful New Year!!
SuiteWorks is pleased to offer businesses in Barrie and Simcoe County a range of office space, from co-working desks to virtual office package. Call us to find out more. 1.866.967.5711.